Active Piriformis Test
- Active Piriformis Test (APT)
- Modified Pace Test
- Evaluate the Piriformis muscle as a cause of hip or buttocks pain
- The patient is placed in the lateral decubitus position on the unaffected side
- They actively flex and then abduct, externally rotate the hip against resistance
- Positive test
- Reproduces the patient's typical pain
- Martin et al
- Sensitivity: 0.78
- Specificity of 0.80
- Martin, Hal D., and Juan Gómez-Hoyos. "Deep gluteal syndrome." Posterior Hip Disorders. Springer, Cham, 2019. 167-187.
- Martin HD, Kivlan BR, Palmer IJ, Martin RL. Diagnostic accuracy of clinical tests for sciatic nerve entrapment in the gluteal region. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2014;22(4):882‐888.