- The largest of the carpal bones.<ref>Doyle J, Botte M. Surgical Anatomy of the Hand and Upper Extremity. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. 2003: 57-59. /ref>
- Located at the center of the distal carpal row.
- It has a protected position in the carpus making isolated fractures unusual.
- Anatomic Description
- Proximal surface is rounded
- Distal end has a triangular shape
- The palmar surface is slightly convex.
- The Capitate fossa is a concavity on the radial aspect in which the Scaphoid articulates.
- Ligament Attachments
- The dorsal intercarpal and dorsal basal metacarpal arches.