- Maximal Cervical Compression Test
- Foraminal Compression Test
- Spurling's Test
- Evaluate for etiology of neck pain or radicular symptoms in upper extremity
- The patient is seated
- Examiner is in a position to apply axial load to the top of patients head
- Patient then places neck in extension, lateral rotation in the direction of the patients symptoms
- Examiner applies an axial load
- Repeat with head rotated to the unaffected side
- Positive Test:
- Reproduction of pain radiating into upper extremity
- Cervical Radiculopathy
- Tong HC, Haig AJ, Yamakawa K. The Spurling test and cervical radiculopathy. Spine. 2002; 27: 156-159.
- Shah KC, Rajshekhar V. Reliability of diagnosis of soft cervical disc prolapse using Spurling’s test. Br J Neuro-surg. 2004; 18: 480-483.
- Wainner RS, Fritz JM, Irrgang JJ Boninger ML, Delitto A, Allison S. Reliability and diagnostic accuracy of the clinical examination and patient self-report measures for cervical radiculopathy. Spine. 2003; 28:52-62.