- Hornblower's Sign
- Patte Test
- Hornblower's Test
- The patient is seated or standing
- Examiner passively flexes elbow to 90°, abducts arm to 90°
- The patient is asked to hold the arm in this position
- Positive test
- Arm falls into internal rotation and patient unable to maintain position
- Alternatively, the examiner can ask the patient to externally rotate against resistance when in position
- Walch et al
- Sensitivity: 100%
- Specificity: 93%
- LR+: 14.29
- LR-: 0
- Charalambous, Charalambos Panayiotou. "Clinical examination of the shoulder." The Shoulder Made Easy. Springer, Cham, 2019. 77-122.
- Walch G, Boulahia A, Calderone S, Robinson AHN. The 'dropping' and 'hornblower's' signs in evaluation of rotator cuff tears. 1998; 80: 624-28.